Notes from caffeineville

One small voice in a hill of beans

Saturday, June 10, 2006

It takes a big man to accept your small tips



My Husband is a bartender and a server at a local restaurant - he does this because, as a professor in a small local college, his pay is....unreliable.

My husband earns each and every dollar on hope, hope that his customers will be sane, hope that they will enjoy their food and his service - but mostly hope that he will get tipped appropriately.

If you eat at his restaurant, for the duration of your meal, you are his employer. He basically works as an independent contractor; he has no insurance, no sick days, no vacation days and his base pay is below minimum wage because it is the custom in this country to tip 15% for good service and 20% for great service. For some people this is a career - not just something that little Jenny does during her summers home from college. These people work hard, they are on their feet for hours at a time and they navigate crowded rooms with hot liquids and sharp implements, they are diplomats, baby-sitters, and counselors all while smiling and remembering that the folks at table 12 need an extra fork and have to catch a movie in 20 minutes.

As the keeper of the books in our family I enjoy great stress every week because we never know how much money he will make. A week of rainy weather? Bad tips. Kitchen messes up the order? Bad tip. Tourists? Crap shoot. Yes, he has a lot of wonderful, regular clients who eat there each week. If it weren't for them we'd be eating ramen noodles every night.

All I'm asking is that you think about it next time you tally up your restaurant check; was your server good to you? Did they give you a little of themselves? Then, please - be good to them.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bry said...

Hell Yes.

When I worked at the sandwich shop I was always amazed at who tipped. Firefighters, waitresses, landscapers: always. BMW-driving real estate agents, yacht club organizers who wanted a hand bringing their order to the car, the guy who owned the building I worked in: never to almost never. And if they did tip it was a dollar.

It seems to me that the people who work hardest for the least money appreciate what I do a hell of a lot more than the guy whose daddy got him a job with the company right out of college and never worked a day of actual labor in his life.

All rich people should be required to live off of a shit (low-paying/unreliable paying) job for at least one year. No exceptions. Tips around the country would improve drastically.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Cheap bastards!!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Wicked Goodz said...

Dede; preaching to the choir sister!

Bry; Those people tip because (like us) they actually work for a living. I'd venture to say a lot of people who work in the service/retail industry tip well and are more curteous customers. We know what it's like to be on the other side of that counter.

You can tell if a rich person worked for their money. They tip. Their kids, however, do not.

8:54 PM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

Michele, can I be brutally honest here?

7:52 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

It takes a total asshole to take a 50 cent tip from an English customer, who knows full well what the local costoms are, and send it to the IRA.

I am that asshole and I told him off before he left.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Wicked Goodz said...

Okay, I'll bite. What happened? Please don't tell me I did it. If so I'm sorry *makes sad puppy eyes*

11:48 AM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

ahhh, never mind - I can't resist those eyes.
:-)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home