Notes from caffeineville

One small voice in a hill of beans

Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm lazy and I'm a coward.

I'm feeling demoralized by my job.

I am having real ethical problems with how my company treats people.

The easy thing to do is quit and find another job; I'm employable and there are jobs available. But how does that help the company change? How does that help my co-workers, left behind, to deal with the problems? How far-reaching is my responsibility for the company's behavior?

My real question is: how do I find the strength and the courage to fight with people whom I love - to hurt them by bringing their very ideals into question? Also, how do I find the vocabulary to do it intelligently, professionally and with friendship?

I'm such a milquetoast, I'm not sure I have it in me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

You can do it.

Step one: Find another job.

Step two: Have an exit interview when you leave the present job. If they don't routinely do this, tell them you want a meeting.

Step three: Be prepared with what you want to say about all the stuff that's fucked up and made you want to leave. Make sure you couch it all in terms of desiring to help your "team", which has the benefit of being true. Be firm but courteous.

See? Easy!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

Exit interview should include a formal letter about their abusive attitude and bullshit; and should be cc'ed to everyone who works for the company. Let them know you are open about this with everyone. And that their employees feel the same way you do.

I wish to god I could have half an hour alone with your Big Boss. I want to tell her exactly what I think of her lack of ethics and the way she treats her employees.

I am so glad I got to see up close what you deal with. I just couldn't understand without that.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home